Nordic Microfinance Initiative (NMI) is seeking a Digital Transformation Officer who can proactively engage and drive the use of technology to further improve the performance of our investees.
NMI was established in 2008 as a collaboration between public authorities and private investors to invest in and build institutions providing financial inclusion in developing countries. Private sector investors include pension funds and family offices from Norway and Denmark, and the public sector is represented by Norfund, the Norwegian Government Investment Fund for Developing Countries, and IFU, the corresponding Danish government fund.
NMI’s mission is empowerment of poor people in developing countries and creation of jobs and wealth on a sustainable basis. We create both social and economic results by investing in and building financial inclusion institutions in Sub-Saharan Africa, India, and Southeast Asia. Our head office is in Oslo, but we also have offices in Copenhagen, Jakarta, Nairobi, and New Delhi. NMI currently manages 5 funds with commitments of more than USD 350 million. Through our investments we are reaching close to 10 million clients.
NMI is currently invested in 19 different financial inclusion institutions. We actively engage with our investees to improve performance and outreach, and share best practice across investees and regions.
About the role:
As a Digital Transformation Officer, you become part of the investment teams that identifies, analyses, and manages NMI's investments. Best use of technology is of essence to our financial institutions, both to build sustainable profitable businesses as well as providing new and existing clients with best-in-class products and services. The potential for proper use of technology is vast and we are seeking a person who can be the primary driver in NMI to make this happen.
NMI is a small and efficient organization where you as a Digital Transformation Officer will be given considerable responsibilities and the authority to decide on appropriate measures. You will be responsible for NMI's overall strategic technology discussions with our investees as well as acting as an adviser for the rest of the NMI team on questions related to technology. The advisory role will be of particular importance versus NMI’s Board members in the investees.
The position will report to the Managing Director in NMI and preferably be based out of one of our offices in either Oslo, Copenhagen, New Delhi, or Nairobi. Extensive travelling will be required.
- Drive the use of technology in our investees to achieve improvements in operating expenses and open new segments we can serve
- Strengthen and position NMI as a tech savvy investor who adds value to our investees by proactively engaging in sharing of best practice use of technology between our institutions, suppliers, partners, and consultants in the industry as well as within the NMI team
- Define NMI's strategy for use of technology in our investees, in coordination with the investment teams
- Lead the analysis of the technology set up of an investee pre investment.
- Keep abreast of developments in the relevant financial sectors and sharing insight with the NMI team and NMI investees for continuous improvement
- Professional degree (CA/MBA) from a reputed institution and/or Master’s degree with strong academic records
- Extensive experience from use of technology in traditional industries, ideally from financial institutions, as well as operational experience from driving digital transformations, with solid track record of delivering significantly improved business efficiency in a sustainable manner.
- Experience from Emerging Markets, preferably from Africa and Asia
- Strategic mindset
- Good networking and communication skills, including experience in influencing C-level professionals to see opportunities in using technology.
- Good English knowledge, both written and oral
- Ambitious and self-motivated with an interest to develop yourself professionally and personally
- A team player who also enjoys working independently
- Hardworking, dedicated, and able to deliver high-quality work on a timely basis
A unique possibility where you will be able to indirectly improve the lives of people who are financially excluded. You will have the opportunity to work with very demanding investment assessments and company follow-ups, where the end goal is primarily to strengthen the poor's access to good and safe financial services, while at the same time ensuring profitability and proper risk management.
The right candidate will have ample opportunities to contribute to the further development of NMI. You become part of a professionally sound and good working environment, with opportunities for both professional and personal development. Compensation in accordance with market standards. Normal workload outside of travel activities.
Please send your application by June 3, 2022 to Tatiana Ceben at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions, please contact Tatiana Ceben from Pedersen and Partners at email@example.com. All inquiries are treated confidentially.
For more information on NMI, please refer to: www.nmimicro.no